Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lost

I was already hopping mad before I even started watching Lost figuring I would have to put up with the constant school closings crawl at the bottom of the screen. I even had my blog post formulating with something along the lines of: if you're too stupid to look up your school closing on-line then you can't possibly follow the plot of Lost; therefore, the crawl serves no purpose other than to annoy me. But much to my surprise, Lost was shown crawl-free. I must give credit where credit is due. Thanks, WCPO.

Spoiler alert! If you haven't watched last night's Lost yet, stop reading here.

After tonight's episode, I had the distinct feeling (one that I've had before watching this show - especially early on -- but that I've lost track off) that Aaron is the key component to this whole mystery. Aaron is connected to Jack through Jack's father. Plus there are all of the issues of pregnancy on the island, etc., that lean toward Aaron being important. Here's my theory: Aaron is some sort of messiah figure for the Others. We didn't see this the first time Aaron was born, but last night we learned that the birth of Aaron coincided with the beam of light from the hatch that Locke experienced the night Boone died. The beam of light from the Hatch represents the Star that the wisemen (magi? kings? - depends on the version you read) followed to Jesus's birth. Ben knows that Aaron must be brought back to the island (the second coming?) to save the Others and the Island.

(Or the beam of light could have been from the Luxor. Favorite line of the night, Sawyer in response to Juliet's explanation that, "it's an Indian airline, but they fly all over": "Maybe they have a flight to Vegas tonight.")

I guess that makes Walt John the Baptist. (My wife's theory (and it's a good one) is that Walt had a more prominent role until he outgrew his part.)

Regular readers of this blog know that I opined that Claire's mom must be the one seeking the maternity test for Kate, as she would be the only one with standing to get a court order for such a test. I almost broke my arm patting myself on the back on this one as Kate and Jack followed the My So Called Life guy to Claire's mom's hotel, but it turns out that it was Ben. (What a great line from Ben, "He's my lawyer.") How in the world did Ben get a court order for the maternity test? Of course we haven't seen the order, so maybe it was a bluff.

Now that I've thought about it, I think John Locke is John the Baptist. He is the one who has to get Aaron back to the island even if he has to die. That's what happened to John the Baptist, who was beheaded. And as we know, names mean things on Lost, an they're both named John. Not a perfect analogy, but we'll see where it goes.

What do you guys think is happening?

2 comments:

Scutch said...

To carry on our running gag of several years, I'll just say this. At least you aren't overthinking it.

Dave Zahniser said...

What's the point of a blog if not to over think it?