Monday, March 16, 2009

Fay speculation

John Fay speculated on the Reds' 25-man roster on Saturday. Here's what he thought:

The starting eight:

Willy Taveras cf
Alex Gonzalez ss
Joey Votto 1b
Brandon Phillips 2b
Jay Bruce rf
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Dickerson/Gomes lf
Ramon Hernandez c

The rotation:

Aaron Harang
Edinson Volquez
Bronson Arroyo
Johnny Cueto
Micah Owings

The bullpen:

Francisco Cordero
David Weathers
Arthur Rhodes
Mike Lincoln
Jared Burton
Bill Bray
Masset or Bailey

The bench:

Jeff Keppinger
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Daryle Ward
Ryan Hanigan

This is basically what I've been saying. At the risk of repeating myself, I like Bailey starting in AAA, and Massett (who's out of options) in the pen. Fay likes Homer in long relief because it's less pressure.

Fay says Ward is the only close call for the bench. He says Nix or Jones could get the spot. Nix is having a good spring, but Jones is not. I'm glad it looks like Gomes is going to make the team as part of a left-field platoon. He's got 30-homer potential if he could get the at bats. I've been touting him since they signed him, so it's nice to know they're reading the blog. For the record, I like Ward over Nix or Jones. Nix and Jones don't add much over what we've already got. Ward adds an experienced pinch hitter from the left side and he's got pop.

Finally, I like the starting 8, but not the line-up. Here's what I would do against righties:

BP
Votto
Bruce
EE
Hernandez
Dickerson
A-Gon
Taveras

And against lefties:

BP
Votto
EE
Gomes
Bruce
Hernandez
A-Gon
Taveras

No comments: