Thursday, November 5, 2009

Game six - The Yankees win!

I missed the first half of the game for my tennis match (we won 0-6, 6-2, 6-3) but was able to stay up for the final out. I always enjoy seeing a team celebrate after winning the world series. I long for the time when it's my team, which hasn't happened since I was a senior in high school when the Cardinals beat the Brewers in game seven of the 1982 world series. Surprisingly, I don't have a clear memory of where I was watching the game when it happened. Hopefully, the next time it happens to me I'll be in my seats at GABP. (That would require a lot of things to happen, not the least of which is the Reds winning in five games or less or the National League actually winning an all star game. I'm not sure which is less likely.)

Pettitte pitched a gem, although technically not a quality start because he didn't get out of the sixth. With less than 90 pitches and a lead, no question he would have stayed in there had it not been game six of the World Series. I didn't see Pedro pitch, but he didn't fair as well, thanks to series MVP Hideki Matsui, who knocked in six of the seven runs. Matsui tied the record for fewest at-bats for a position player MVP in a World Series. Kudos to whoever can comment with who he tied. I assume the series MVP award will not change how the Yanks negotiate with Matsui, who is now a free agent, during the off-season.

Speaking of the off-season, I inted to do a comprehensive season review and then continue the blog during the off-season, with some baseball and some other stuff. I hope you've enjoyed the series games recap and will stick with us at least until pitchers and catchers report in February.

No comments: