Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Game 132: Gomes treats Dave and Rachel to an anniversary home run

I know, game 132 will always be known for Aroldis Champman's major league debut. And this post should have been titled something like, "Cuban Missile launches." But it was our anniversary and Gomes hit a home run for us; so that's what I'll remember most.

On to the game. What a great night at the ballpark. I took a wrong turn on the way home from a deposition ("Why are we entering Tennessee?") so I was a little late and missed the first inning. Fortunately, Rachel had snagged a scorecard and kept perfect records so that I didn't miss anything in the book.

Only about 19,000 folks in attendance last night, which was a bit disappointing, but the folks there were certainly not disappointed. Harang was good not great while in there, but threw too many pitches and had to leave after four. LeCure set the stage with three good innings and the offense cranked it up. In the eighth, the Reds had an 8-3 lead and they went to Chapman. The crowd went crazy. You'll recall Rachel and I drove to Toledo to see his professional debut, and now we would see his major league debut. 8 pitches, 7 strikes, one strike out, no base runners. A perfect inning, 'nuf said.

What was so great, though, was his demeanor. He seemed completely unfazed by any of it. We took a flip video of his first pitch and I'll get that up as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Mommy with a Masters said...

A man of his word!

Dave Zahniser said...

I made up the part about Gomesey promissing to hit us a home run. LOTI. And as we all know, correlation does not imply causation. Thanks for reading, Laura.